I’ve written and talked a lot about how a particular method of listening to your target audience reveals their true problems and priorities–vs. the ones you assume or hope they have.
Now let’s look at some of the real reactions B2B decision-makers had when we found their “R-Spot”–the place in their brain that triggers a visceral or emotional response signifying you:
- Have identified an issue that is truly important from their perspective; and/or
- Intend to address this issue so that your interests are more closely aligned with theirs.
(What’s the “R” stand for? Relevance, resonance, reality, rant–take your pick.)
You might be saying, “Hey, Bob, this is B2B. People don’t have emotional reactions.”
Oh yes they do.
You’re helping them do their jobs better or make their life easier (because their job is part of their life). So they do react strongly when you strike the right chord. The quotes below prove it. They are verbatim reactions from decision-makers either:
- During the initial “listening” session when we honed in on their “Elevator Rant”–the problems they talk about when vendors aren’t around; or
- After my client pitched a new value proposition or messaging that we formulated based on discovering the Elevator Rant.
So here are…
5 Customer Reactions When You Find Their “R-Spot”
- “Why isn’t my vendor doing that for me?”
- “If you really do that I’d be a customer for life.”
- “That proves you’re really aligned with our interests.”
- “I wish all vendors would take the approach you’re taking.”
- “This proves how critical listening is–and that not enough vendors take the time to do it.”
I’ve summarized the entire approach I used to help my clients discover their target audience’s “R-Spot” or Elevator Rant in an e-book. Download it for free at www.chieflisteningofficers.com/customer-discovery-playbook-2/
Awesome. Can't wait to have this conversation on my radio show with you